…New Year, New Beginnings & A New Post

frosty
The first (second!) post of 2009!! – It seems like it should be a thoughtful post filled with meaningful memories from last year, and ambitious plans for the next.
This isn’t going to ‘that post’!

This is just a quick post to point you in the direction of a few interesting things on the net and share a few quick thoughts.

Firstly, the interesting web pages.

I’ve decided to join in with the Oakhall Church Bible reading scheme – I was looking for a Bible-in-a-year plan and I found this one through another blog that I read. This may become another commitment that I later regret, it may become a legalistic ritual rather than a loving relationship, but my intention is to do the readings and post a few thoughts on here to keep accountable (I’m also on the lookout for a living, breathing Bible reading partner – watch out CCD folks!)
Check out the plan by clicking here!

This week I’ve found various bloggers making reference to an article by Matthew Parris entitled “As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God”. I’ve read the article and I found it very interesting – it’s generated a lot of very interesting comments too.
I won’t share any thoughts on it as various other bloggers have done a sterling job on that front – I just wanted to point you in the direction of an article that’s well worth a read and ponder!

I was challenged by a post titled “Because God is big he needs to be in charge of little things” over at 22 Words. Abraham quotes Paul Tripp from the DG conference;

“If God doesn’t rule your mundane, then he doesn’t rule you, because that’s where you live.”

That’s a huge challenge to me as I like to think I’m making God’s life easier by not bothering Him with the little things – fact is he’s interested because he’s a loving father who cares for his children.
(After reading that post I listened to Mark Driscoll preaching on ‘Pray Like Jesus’ – I’m think God’s telling me something!)

I’m not in the habit of watching Hollyoaks, but two of my siblings are, (they shall remain nameless). Edd and I had had to endure yet another episode of the naff soap, and as the credits rolled one of the actors said this;

“This time of year we all try to change, to become something we’re not – eventually we will fail”

I was struck by the profundity of the statement – I realise that it’s highly unlikely that the writers had any Gospel-shaped thoughts when they penned this line, but I began to think about it.

So many people will have made all sorts of rash promises to themselves about how they’re going to better themselves this year by going to the gym, dieting, quitting smoking, being friendlier or spending more quality time with their family, to name but a few.
We’re told that we just need to put the effort in and believe in ourselves to release our full potential. Even though we’re all to aware of how quickly our resolutions to change are broken, we’ve bought into this self-help mentality.
Even in approaching God you might think that you’re not all that bad and with a bit of prayer, some Bible reading and a smattering of church attendance you’ll work your way into heaven!

The Gospel exposes our efforts to earn a right standing before God as the filthy rags that they truly are. (Isaiah 64:6)
When we try to be good enough to earn our way into heaven we’re pretending that we’re something that we’re not – and eventually we will fail!
That’s the beauty of the Gospel – it confronts us with how wretched we truly are, provides an atoning sacrifice, reveals a perfect mediator and gives us a new beginning!
It only the Gospel that can bring about the real change that we need, without it we’re driven to either legalistic religion, or absolute despair.

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
(2Co 5:17 ESV)

Comments