...Learning Greek, Hebrew and Latin!

Pendolino

Well, I'm back in Shotton, in body at least! My mind is still whirring from my first journey on a 'Pendolino train' (They are quick!) and what I learned on Monday and Tuesday at the London Theological Seminaries' conference on 'Creation, The Bible and Science'.

It was an intellectually stimulating conference, with all delegates leaving with a lot to chew over. We had seven papers presented to us each bringing their own perspective on this discussion.

Monday 15th Sept:

  • Interpreting Genesis 1 & 2
    - Dr. John Currid 
  • Genesis 1 & 2 - Post Copernican History of Interpretation
    - Dr. Robert Letham
  • Genesis 1 & 2 - A Scientist's Perspective
    - Prof. Stuart Burgess
  • The Gospel & Creation - the Significance of a Theology of Creation for Preaching
    - Rev. Philip Eveson

Tuesday 16th Sept:

  • The New Testament and Creation
    - Dr. Stephen Lloyd
  • Design Arguments - Stepping Stones, Stumbling Blocks or Sleeping Pills?
    - Prof. Paul Helm
  • Authority: the Bible and Science
    - Dr Jason Rampelt

I enjoyed all the papers presented, although I didn't agreed with all of the content. As I re-read my notes I'll try and add some thoughts about each paper to the blog.

There was lots of Hebrew, Greek and Latin flying around, I enjoy learning these terms as it does add another dimension to my understanding and helps me to be more accurate in discussions. I thought I might share some of the terms here, mainly to help me remember them and be able to explain them.

"Creation ex nihilo" (Latin) - This is central to the Christian understanding of creation. God created everything 'ex nihilo', that is, 'out of nothing'. God commanded everything into existence.

"Tohu va Bohu" (Hebrew) - This phrase is used in Genesis 1:2 and was mentioned a number of times throughout the conference. It translates as "wilderness and emptiness" or "formless and void"

"Imago Dei" (Latin) - Now this was one I did know! It's used in reference mankind only and translates as "Image of God", it highlights the fact that we are created in the image of God.

"Imitatio Dei" (Latin) - Yeah, you guessed it, this translates as "Imitating God" and reminds us that in our creating, and stewardship, of things we are to imitate God!

As I said there will be more posts on this subject as I read through my notes.

I really enjoyed travelling on the Pendolino trains, the journey is much quicker than I could drive...and before anyone says it,  they corner better too!!

I'm glad that my travels have ended for the foreseeable future! I've enjoyed all my trips and conferences, and I've found that I settled into Deeside very quickly but the lack of structure is getting a little frustrating. I just want to get to know the people and get stuck into the work now.

Comments